Women's health toolkit
This Women’s Health Hub is categorised into sections best representing the needs of women at different stages of their lives.
Guidelines and Pathways
- NICE Menopause: diagnosis and management. (NG23, November 2015, updated 2019). This guideline covers the diagnosis and management of menopause, including in women who have premature ovarian insufficiency. The guideline aims to improve the consistency of support and information provided to women in menopause. The guideline was amended in December 2019, following the MHRA safety alert on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and the risk of breast cancer, to include the MHRA’s advice on risks and benefits.
- The NICE NG23 guideline includes a pathway for improving diagnosis and management of menopause.
- The British Menopause Society website hosts a series of consensus statements which address key disorders and controversial topics in post-reproductive health. These statements are developed from evidence review and informal consensus to support healthcare professionals to provide quality post-reproductive healthcare including:
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Non-hormonal based treatments for menopausal symptoms
- Premature ovarian insufficiency
- Bioidentical HRT
- Urogenital atrophy
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology published a guideline on the management of premature ovarian insufficiency (POI). This guideline offers best practice advice on the care of women with premature ovarian insufficiency, both primary and secondary. The patient population comprises women younger than 40 years (which includes Turner Syndrome patients) and women older than 40 years, but with disease onset before 40.
- NICE Ovarian cancer: Recognition and initial management (CG122, April 2011). Guideline covering detection, diagnosis and treatment of women aged 18 or older who have, or are suspected of having, epithelial ovarian cancer, fallopian tube cancer, primary peritoneal cancer or borderline ovarian cancer. It aims to enable earlier detection of ovarian cancer and improve initial treatment. The NICE CG122 guideline includes a pathway to support the recommendations.
- NICE Suspected cancer: recognition and referral (NG12, June 2015, updated 2021). Guideline including recommendations to improve recognition and referral of symptoms that could be caused by cancer. Included is a section specifically aiming to help people understand what to expect if they have symptoms which may suggest cancer. The recommendations are organised by:
- NICE Urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse in women: management (NG123 April 2019, updated: June 2019). This guideline is an update covering assessment and management of urinary incontinence in women and includes for the first time a section on management of pelvic organ prolapse. The guideline also covers sections on the assessment and management of MESH related problems. This section will be updated following the independent review. The NICE NG123 guideline includes a pathway to support the recommendations.