Physical activity resources
The resources, literature and organisations which underpin the ‘Movement for Movement’.
Evidence and guidance
Physical activity guidelines
Guidance from the Chief Medical Officers in the UK on the amount and type of physical activity people should be doing to improve their health – the recommendations here form the basis of the Active Practice Charter and other key initiatives, and the freely accessible high definition infographics are great resources for waiting rooms, staff areas and clinical rooms!
Exercise: the Miracle Cure
This report by the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges outlines not just ‘why’ doctors must take a leading role in the fight against a sedentary lifestyle, but sets out
in clear and simple terms ‘how’ they should.
Many NICE guidelines include physical activity in the recommendations.
- Physical activity: brief advice for adults in primary care. PH44
- Weight management: lifestyle services for overweight or obese adults. PH53
- Weight management before, during and after pregnancy. PH 27
- Physical activity and the environment. NG90
- Physical activity: walking and cycling. PH41
- Physical activity for children and young people. PH17
- Physical activity in the workplace. PH13
- Physical activity: exercise referral schemes. PH54
- Physical activity: for NHS staff, patients and carers. QS84