1. What are cookies?
A cookie is a text file that is stored on your computer or mobile device by a website that you access. It will contain some anonymous information such as a unique identifier and the site name and some digits and numbers. It allows a website to remember things like your preferences or what's in your shopping basket.
Cookies do lots of different things, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, storing your preferences, and generally improving your experience of a website. Cookies make the interaction between you and the website faster and easier. They allow a website to identify that you are a new visitor every time you move to a new page on the site – for example, when you enter your login details and move to another page it won't recognise you and it won't be able to keep you logged in.
By using and browsing the The RCGP Learning website, you consent to cookies being used in accordance with our policy. If you do not consent, you must turn off cookies or refrain from using the site.
Most browsers allow you to turn off cookies. To do this, look at the 'help' menu on your browser. Switching off cookies may restrict your use of the website and/or delay or affect the way in which it operates.
2. What types of cookies are there?
Broadly, there are 3 types of cookie:
Third party cookies
Third party cookies are set by another website. For example, we use a third-party analytics company who set their own cookie to perform this service.
Session Cookies are stored only temporarily during a browsing session and are deleted from the user's device when the browser is closed.
Persistent cookies are saved on your computer for a fixed period (usually a year or longer) and are not deleted when the browser is closed. They are used where we need to know who you are for more than one browsing session. For example, we use this type of cookie to store your preferences, so that they are remembered for the next visit.
They are used on the main RCGP website, Trainee ePortfolio, Revalidation ePortfolio, Research Ready, Practice Accreditation, Self Service Area and Online learning sites.
- To provide personalised services to individual users. and to improve your user experience by enabling the website to 'remember' you, either for the duration of your visit (using a 'session cookie') or for repeat visits (using a persistent cookie').
- To help us to monitor and improve the services we offer.
- For more information about cookies and managing them, please visit aboutcookies.org.uk, which includes, information about how they can be disabled in most commonly used browsers. However, you should be aware that disabling certain cookies may cause the website not to function properly.
- How to control cookies
- The RCGP shop pages provide further information about processing of data collected via online ordering. RCGP shop terms and conditions.
Processing and retention of personal data
All personal data is processed in accordance with the UK data protection and privacy electronic communication laws and regulation. We will not pass any of your personal data to outside organisations or individuals without your express consent.
- You have a right to know about the personal information the RCGP holds about you, and to have your data corrected or deleted.
3. What cookies does the RCGP Learning site use?
Strictly necessary cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.
Analytical cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage.
|GA1.4.1011140360.1651754256 / GA1.3.1011140360.1651754256
Marketing cookies are used to track visitors across websites. The intention is to display ads that are relevant and engaging, and therefore more valuable.
Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted by email and post at the following address:
Royal College of General Practitioners
30 Euston Square